2011 - 2015
Papers in refereed scientific journals
- Cramer MD and Hoffman MT 2015. The consequences of precipitation seasonality for Mediterranean-ecosystem vegetation of South Africa. PLoS ONE 10(12): e0144512. DOI: 10.1371/journal. Pone.0144512.
- Gillson L 2015. Evidence of a Tipping Point in a southern African savanna? Ecological Complexity 21, 78-86. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecocom.2014.12.005.
- Green L, Gammon DW, Hoffman MT, Cohen J, Hilgart A, Morrell RG, Verran H and Wheat N 2015. Plants, people and health: Three disciplines at work in Namaqualand. South African Journal of Science 111(9/10). DOI: 10.17159/sajs.2015/20140276.
- Masubelele M, Hoffman MT and Bond WJ 2015. Biome stability and long-term vegetation change in the semi-arid, south-eastern interior of South Africa: a synthesis of repeat photo-monitoring studies. South African Journal of Botany 101: 139-147. DOI: 10.1016/j.sajb.2015.06.001.
- Masubelele ML, Hoffman MT and Bond WJ 2015. A repeat photograph analysis of long-term vegetation change in semi-arid South Africa in response to land use and climate. Journal of Vegetation Science 26(5): 1013-1023. DOI: 10.1111/jvs.12303/full.
- Poulsen Z and Hoffman MT 2015. Changes in the distribution of indigenous forest in Table Mountain National Park during the 20th century. South African Journal of Botany 101: 49-56. DOI: 10.1016/j.sajb.2015.05.002.
- Reimers B, Griffiths CL and Hoffman MT 2014. Repeat photograph as a tool for detecting and monitoring historical changes in South African coastal habitats. African Journal of Marine Science 36(3): 387 - 398.
- Gillson, L. & Marchant, R. 2014. From myopia to clarity: sharpening the focus of ecosystem management through the lens of palaeoecology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 29, 317-325.
- McAuliffe, J, Hoffman MT, McFadden L and King M. 2014 Role of aeolian sediment accretion in the formation of heuweltjies earth mounds, western South Africa. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. Published online: 29 April 2014, DOI: 10.1002/esp.3583.
- Hoffman MT Changing patterns of rural land use and land cover in South Africa and their implications for land reform. Journal of Southern African Studies 40(4): 705-725. DOI: 10.1080/03057070.2014.943525 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03057070.2014.943525
- O'Connor TG, Puttick JR and Hoffman MT 2014. Bush encroachment in southern Africa: changes and causes. African Journal of Range and Forage Science 31(2): 67-88.
- Ward D, Hoffman MT, Collocott SJ 2014. The influence of local and global drivers on a century of woody plant encroachment in the dry Kimberley savanna of South Africa. African Journal of Range and Forage Science 31(2): 107-121.
- Puttick JR, Hoffman MT and Gambiza J 2014. The impact of South Africa's land reform programme on woody plant cover and rangeland condition within Grahamstown's Municipal Commonage. African Journal of Range and Forage Science 31(2): 123-133.
- Puttick JR, Hoffman MT and Gambiza J 2014. The influence of South Africa's post-apartheid land reform policies on bush encroachment and range condition: A case study of Fort Beaufort's Municipal Commonage. African Journal of Range and Forage Science 31(2): 133-145.
- Joubert DF, Zimmerman I, Fendler J, Winschiers-Theophilus H, Graz FP, Smit GN and Hoffman MT 2014. The development of an expert system for arid rangeland management in central Namibia with emphasis on bush thickening. African Journal of Range & Forage Science 31(2): 161-172.
- Shiponeni N, Carrick P, Allsopp N and Hoffman MT 2014. Effects of root competition and soils on seedling establishment at the ecotone between an arid grassland and succulent shrubland in South Africa. Journal of Vegetation Science 25: 402-410.
- Philippon N, Martiny N, Camerlin, Hoffman MT and Gond V 2014. Timing and patterns of ENSO impacts in Africa over the last 30 years: insights form Normalized Different Vegetation Index data. Journal of Climate 27: 2509-2532.
- Jack SL, Hoffman MT, Rohde RF, Durbach I and Archibald M 2014. Blow me down! A new perspective on Aloe dichotoma mortality as a result of windthrow. BMC Ecology 14:7 DOI: 10.1186/1472-6785/14/7.
- Jerardino A, Wiltshire N, Webley L, Tusenius M, Halkett D, Hoffman MT and Maggs T 2014. Site distribution and chronology at Soutpansklipheuwel, a rocky outcrop on the West Coast of South Africa. Journal of Island & Coastal Archaeology 9(1): 88-110.
- Masubelele ML, Hoffman MT, Bond WJ and Gambiza J 2014. A 50 year study shows grass cover has increased in shrublands of semi-arid South Africa. Journal of Arid Environments 104: 43-51.
- Gillson, L. (2013) Patch Dynamics. Oxford Bibliographies in Ecology. Ed. David Gibson. New York:Oxford University Press, 30/9/2013 http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199830060/obo-9780199830060-0008.xml
- McGeoch, M.A., Dawson, T.P., and Gillson, L. (2013) Accommodating the human response for realistic adaptation planning: response to Watson and Segan Trends in Ecology and Evolution 28 (10) 574-575
- Gillson, L., T. P. Dawson, S. Jack, and M. A. McGeoch. 2013. Accommodating climate change contingencies in conservation strategy. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 28:135-142.
- Masubelele ML, Hoffman MT, Bond WJ and Burdett P 2013. Vegetation change (1988-2010) in the Camdeboo National Park, South Africa using fixed-point photo monitoring: The role of herbivory and climate. Koedoe - African Protected Area Conservation and Science 55(1), Art. #1127, 16 pages. http:// dx.doi.org/10.4102/koedoe. v55i1.1127
- Samuels I, Allsopp N and Hoffman MT 2013. How could herd mobility be used to manage resources and livestock grazing in semi-arid rangeland commons? African Journal of Range and Forage Science 30(1&2): 85-89.
- Joubert DF, Smit GN, Hoffman MT 2013. The influence of rainfall, competition and predation on seed production, germination and establishment of an encroaching Acacia in an arid Namibian savanna. Journal of Arid Environments 91: 7-13.
- Breman, E., L. Gillson, and K. Willis. 2012. How fire and climate shaped grass-dominated vegetation and forest mosaics in northern South Africa during past millennia. The Holocene 22:1427-1439.
- Gillson, L., G. F. Midgley, and J. L. Wakeling. 2012. Exploring the significance of land-cover change in South Africa. South African Journal of Science 108:3 Pages.
- Ekblom, A., Gillson, L., Risberg, J., Holmgren, K. & Chidoub, Z. (2012) Rainfall variability and vegetation dynamics of the lower Limpopo Valley, Southern Africa, 500 AD to present. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 363-364, 69-78.
- Peters DPC, Belnap J, Ludwig JA, Collins SL, Paruelo J, Hoffman MT and Havstad KM 2012. How can science by general, yet specific? The conundrum of rangeland science in the 21st century. Rangeland Ecology and Management 65: 613-622. (doi: 10.2111/REM-D-11-00178.1)
- Kunz NS, Hoffman MT and Weber B 2012. Effects of heuweltjies and utilization on vegetation patterns in the Succulent Karoo, South Africa. Journal of Arid Environments 87: 198-205.
- Joubert DF, Smit N and Hoffman MT 2012. The role of fire in preventing transitions from a grass dominated to a bush thickened state in arid savannas. Journal of Arid Environments 87: 1-7.
- Rohde RF & Hoffman MT 2012. Historical ecology of Namibian rangelands: Vegetation change since 1876 in response to local and global drivers. Science of the Total Environment 416: 276-288.
- Ekblom, A., & L. Gillson, and M. Notelid. 2011. A Historical Ecology of the Limpopo and Kruger National Parks and Lower Limpopo Valley. Journal of Archaeology and Ancient History 1:1-29.
- Hoffman, M., M. Cramer, L. Gillson, and M. Wallace. 2011. Pan evaporation and wind run decline in the Cape Floristic Region of South Africa (1974-2005): implications for vegetation responses to climate change. Climatic Change 109:437-452.
- Gillson, L., R. J. Ladle, and M. B. Araújo. 2011. Baselines, patterns and process. Pages 31-44 in R. J. Ladle, and R. J. Whittaker, editors. Conservation Biogeography. Blackwell Publishing Ltd, Oxford.
- Ladle, R. J., P. Jepson, and L. Gillson. 2011. Social values and conservation biogeography. Pages 13-30 in R. J. Ladle, and R. J. Whittaker., editors. Conservation Biogeography,. Blackwell Publishing Ltd., Oxford
- Hoffman MT, Cramer M, Gillson L and Wallace M. 2011. Pan evaporation and climate change trends in the Cape Floristic Region of South Africa (1974-2005). Climatic Change 109: 437-452. [See also Erratum in Climatic Change 2011 109: 453-454].
- Anderson PML and Hoffman MT 2011. Grazing response in the vegetation communities of the Kamiesberg, South Africa: adopting a plant functional type approach. Journal of Arid Environments 75(3): 255-264.
- Shiponeni N, Allsopp N, Carrick PJ and Hoffman MT 2011. Competitive interactions between grass and succulent shrubs at the ecotone between an arid grassland and succulent shrubland in the Karoo. Plant Ecology 212(5): 795-808.
- Puttick JR, Hoffman MT and Gambiza J 2011. Historical and recent land-use impacts on the vegetation of Bathurst, a municipal commonage, Eastern Cape, South Africa. African Journal of Range and Forage Science 28(1): 9-20.
- Hoffman MT and Rohde RF 2011. Rivers through time: Historical changes in the riparian vegetation of the semi-arid, winter rainfall region of South Africa in response to climate and land use. Journal of the History of Biology 44(1): 59-80. (DOI 10.1007/s10739-010-9246-4).
Books and book chapters
- Hoffman MT. Environmental change in 20th century South Africa and its implications for land reform. In: (Eds) Walker C and Cousins. Land divided: Land in South African society in 2014 and beyond. Jacana, Cape Town. (Submitted 10 July 2014).
- Rouget M, Barnett M, Cowling RM, Cumming T, Daniels F, Hoffman MT, Knight A, Manuel J, Parker A, Raimondo D and Rebelo T 2014. Conserving the Cape Floristic Region. In: (Eds) Allsopp A, Colville JF and Verboom GA. Fynbos: Ecology, Evolution, and Conservation of a Megadiverse Region. Oxford University Press. Pp. 321-336. (In press).
- Hoffman MT and Todd SW 2013. Impact of environmental change on ecosystem services and human well-being in Africa. In: Adegoke J and Wright CY (eds) Climate vulnerability: Understanding and addressing threats to essential resources. Elsevier Inc., Academic Press, San Diego. Pp. 49-67. ISBN: 9780123847034.
- Boardman J, Hoffman MT, Holmes PJ and Wiggs GFS 2012. Soil erosion and land degradation. In: Holmes PJ and Meadows ME (Eds.) Southern African geomorphology: Recent trends and new directions. Sunmedia, Bloemfontein. Pp. 305-328. ISBN: 978-1-920382-02-5.
- Hoffman MT 2011. Introduction to rangelands. In: Zietsman L (Ed.): Observations on environmental change in South Africa. Sunmedia, Stellenbosch. Pp. 71-73. ISBN 978-1-920338-24-4.
- Hoffman MT and Rohde R 2011. Long-term changes in the vegetation of southern Africa as revealed by repeat photography. In: Zietsman L (Ed.): Observations on environmental change in South Africa. Sunmedia, Stellenbosch. Pp. 79-83. ISBN 978-1-920338-24-4.
- Richardson FR and Hoffman MT 2011. Using models to predict the probability of degradation of rangelands when subjected to different management strategies. In: Zietsman L (Ed.): Observations on environmental change in South Africa. Sunmedia, Stellenbosch. Pp. 109-115. ISBN 978-1-920338-24-4.
Popular articles and professional communications
- Hoffman MT 2012. Book Review. Richardson DM (ed). Fifty years of invasion ecology: The legacy of Charles Elton. Chichester, Blackwell Publishing, Chichester. 2011. 432 pp. ISBN 978-1-4443-3586-6. Transactions of the Royal Society of South Africa 67(3):167-168.
Refereed chapter in book
- Hoffman MT 2015. Environmental change in twentieth-century South Africa and its implications for land reform. In: (Eds) Cousins B & Walker C. Land divided, land restored: Land reform in South Africa for the 21st Century. Jacana, Cape Town. ISBN: 978-1-4314-0967-9.
- Gillson L 2015. Biodiversity Conservation and Environmental Change: Using palaeoecology to manage dynamic landscapes in the Anthropocene. Oxford University Press. ISBN: 9780198713043.
- Wheat, Nicola. 2014. An Ethnobotanical, Phytochemical and Metabolomics Investigation of Plants from the Paulshoek Communal Area, Namaqualand. Unpublished PhD thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 252 pp + appendices. [Supervisors: David Gammon, M. Timm. Hoffman and Kelly Chibale].
- Samuels, I. 2013. Pastoral mobility in a variable and spatially constrained South African environment. Unpublished PhD thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 186 pp. [Supervisors: Nicky Allsopp and M. Timm Hoffman].
- Masubelele, M. 2012. Understanding the past to conserve the future: Long-term Environmental and Vegetation Change in the Karoo Midlands, South Africa over the 20th Century. Unpublished PhD thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 179 pp.
- Forbes, C. 2014. Benchmarks for the future: long-term vegetation change derived from Palaeoecological techniques in west-coast Renosterveld, South Africa. Unpublished MSc thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 185 pp. [Supervisors: Lindsey Gillson and M. Timm Hoffman]
- Poulsen, Z. 2013. Changes in distribution of indigenous forest in Table Mountain National Park from 1880 – 2012. Unpublished MSc thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 84 pp. [Supervisor: M. Timm Hoffman]
- Powell, R. 2013. Long-term vegetation change in the Cape of Good Hope Section of Table Mountain National Park, in response to climate, fire and land use. Unpublished MSc thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 142 pp. [Supervisors: M. Timm Hoffman and Lindsey Gillson]
- Davis, C. 2013. Trends in vegetation productivity and seasonality for Namaqualand, South Africa, between 1986 and 2011: an approach combining remote sensing and repeat photography. Unpublished MSc thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 147 pp. [Supervisors: M. Timm Hoffman and Wesley Roberts]
- Kinyanjui, R. 2012. Phytolith Analysis As A Palaeoecological Tool: Middle-Late Pleistocene Environments In The Olorgesailie Rift Basin, Kenya. Unpublished MSc thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 121 pp. [Supervisors: Lindsey Gillson]
- Jack, S. 2011. Revisiting Aloe dichotoma’s suitability as an indicator of climate change in southern Africa. Unpublished MSc thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 129 pp. [Supervisors: M. Timm Hoffman and Rick Rohde]
- Duijnstee, L. 2012. A rural village revisited: the post-Apartheid changes in Paulshoek, South Africa. Unpublished MSc thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 93 pp. [Supervisor: Ton Dietz and M. Timm Hoffman]
MSc (Course work and mini-thesis)
- Russo A 2015. The prevalence of documentation discrepancies in CITES (Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) trade data for Appendix I and II species exported out of Africa between the years 2003 and 2012. Unpublished MSc Thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 39 pp. [Supervisors: M. Timm Hoffman and Markus Burgener].
- Cronin K 2015. Aliens in the Nursery: Assessing the awareness and attitudes of Cape Town nursery managers in regard to invasive species regulations. Unpublished MSc Thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 45 pp + appendices. [Supervisors: M. Timm Hoffman and Haylee Kaplan].
- Reimers, B. 2012. Historical changes on rocky shores in the Western Cape, as revealed by repeat photography. Unpublished MSc thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 69 pp. [Supervisors: Charles Griffiths and M. Timm Hoffman]
- de Abreu, P. 2011. The short-term effect of rehabilitation on ecosystem services in the semi-arid Succulent Karoo lowlands of the Little Karoo, South Africa. Unpublished MSc thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 134 pp. [Supervisors: Sue Milton, M. Timm Hoffman and David Le Maitre].
- Marx, D. 2011. An assessment of ecological impacts of community-based restoration on communal grasslands in the Drakensberg foothills. Unpublished MSc thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 79 pp. [Supervisors: Terry Everson and M. Timm Hoffman]