2005 - 2006
Papers in refereed scientific journals
- Baker, L.E. & Hoffman, M.T. 2006. Managing variability: Herding strategies in communal rangelands of semi-arid Namaqualand, South Africa. Human Ecology 34(6): 765-784.
- Belz, R.G., Reinhardt, C.F., Foxcroft, L.C. & Hurle, K. 2006. Residue allelopathy in Parthenium hysterophorus L. - does parthenin play a leading role? Crop Protection, doi:10.1016/j.cropro.2005.06.009
- Bomhard, B., Richardson, D.M., Donaldson, J.S., Hughes, G.O., Midgley, G.F., Raimondo, D.C., Rebelo, A.G., Rouget, M. & Thuiller, W. 2005. Potential impacts of future land use and climate change on the Red List status of the Proteaceae in the Cape Floristic Region, South Africa. Global Change Biology 11: 1452-1468.
- Duncan, J.A., Hoffman, M.T., Rohde, R.F., Powell, E. & Hendricks, H.H. 2006. Long-term population changes in the Giant Quiver Tree, Aloe pillansii in the Richtersveld, South Africa. Plant Ecology 18: 73-84.
- Ellis, A.G. & Weis, A.E. 2006. Coexistence and differentiation of 'flowering stones': The role of local adaptation to soil microenvironment. Journal of Ecology 94: 322-335.
- Ellis, A.G., Weis, A.E. & Gaut, B.S. 2006. Evolutionary radiation of "stone plants " in the genus Argyroderma (Aizoaceae): Unraveling the effects of landscape, habitat and flowering time. Evolution 60(1): 39-55.
- Fox, S.J., Hoffman, M.T. & Hoare, D. 2005. The phenological pattern of vegetation in Namaqualand, South Africa and its climate correlates using NOAA-AVHRR data. South African Geographical Journal 87(2): 85-94.
- Foxcroft, L.C., Lotter, W.D., Runyoro, V.A. & Mattay, P.M.C. 2006. A review of the importance of invasive alien plants in the Ngorongoro Conservation Area and Serengeti National Park. African Journal of Ecology 44: 404-406.
- Galatowitsch, S. & Richardson, D.M. 2005. Riparian scrub recovery after clearing of invasive alien trees in headwater streams of the Western Cape, South Africa. Biological Conservation 122: 509-521.
- Hahn, B.D., Richardson, F.D., Hoffman, M.T., Roberts, R., Todd, S.W. & Carrick, P.J. 2005. A simulation model of long-term climate, livestock and vegetation interactions on communal rangelands in the semi-arid Succulent Karoo, Namaqualand, South Africa. Ecological Modelling 183: 211-230.
- Krug, C.B., Esler, K.J., Hoffman, M.T., Henschel, J., Schmiedel, U. & Juergens, N. 2006. North-South cooperation through BIOTA: an interdisciplinary monitoring programme in arid and semi-arid southern Africa. South African Journal of Science 102: 187-190.
- Reinhardt, C.F., Belz, R.G., Hurle, K. Van Der Laan, M. & Foxcroft, L.C. 2006. Production dynamics of the allelochemical parthenin in leaves of Parthenium hysterophorus L. Journal of Plant Diseases and Protection, Special Issue XX, 427-433.
- Richardson, D.M., Rouget, M., Ralston S.J., Cowling, R.M., van Rensburg, B.J. & Thuiller, W. 2005. Species richness of alien plants in South Africa: environmental correlates and the relationship with indigenous plant species. Ecoscience 12(3): 391-402.
- Richardson, F.D., Hahn, B.D. & Hoffman, M.T. 2005. On the dynamics of grazing systems in the semi-arid succulent Karoo: the relevance of equilibrium and non-equilibrium concepts to the sustainability of semi-arid pastoral systems. Ecological Modelling 187(4): 491-512.
- Rohde, R.F., Moleele, N.M., Mphale, M., Allsopp, N., Chanda, R., Hoffman, M.T., Magole, L. & Young, E. 2006. Dynamics of grazing policy and practice: environmental and social impacts in three communal areas of Southern Africa. Journal of Environmental Science and Policy 9: 302-316.
- Todd, S.W. 2006. Gradients in vegetation cover, structure and species richness of Nama-Karoo shrublands in relation to distance from livestock watering points. Journal of Applied Ecology, 43: 293-304.
- Von Hase, A., Cowling, R.M. & Ellis, A.G. 2006. Petal movement in cape wildflowers protects pollen from exposure to moisture. Plant Ecology 184:75-87.
Book reviews, published meeting reports, website publications, etc.
- Foxcroft, L.C. & Freitag-Ronaldson S. 2005. Development of a co-ordinated invasive alien species research programme in the Kruger National Park: providing a clearer understanding of the dynamics of alien invasions. Available from SANParks website: http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/conservation/scientific/ff/Foxcroft%20 &%20Freitag_2005.pdf
- Hoffman, M.T. 2006. Book Review: Kate Showers - Imperial Gullies: Soil erosion and conservation in Lesotho. South African Historical Journal 55: 234-237.
- Colville, J.F. 2006. A profile of the insects of the Kamiesberg Uplands, Namaqualand, South Africa. CEPF Report, Cape Town.
- Esler, K.J.E., Hoffman, M.T. & Allsopp, N.A. 2005. An evaluation of the Arid Zone Ecology Forum: 2002-2005. Unpublished report prepared for the NRF. November 2005.
- Gibson, D.J.D., Paterson, G., Newby, T., Laker, M. & Hoffman, M.T. 2005. Land. In: (Eds) Gibson, D.J.D., Henderson, C., King, N., Kilian, D., & Pretorius, R. South Africa Environment Outlook 2005. Department of Environmental Affairs & Tourism, Pretoria.
- Hoffman, M.T., Todd, S.W. and Duncan, J. 2005. Environmental change in Riemvasmaak 10 years after re-settlement. Leslie Hill Institute for Plant Conservation, University of Cape Town, Cape Town and FARM-Africa. July 2005. 117 pp.
- Hoffman, M.T., Desmet, P. & Le Roux, A. 2006. Biological and social considerations for the inclusion of the 'Mostert Properties' into the Namaqua National Park corridor. Confidential draft report submitted to the Leslie Hill Succulent Karoo Trust. Leslie Hill Institute for Plant Conservation, University of Cape Town. 29 June 2006. 20 pp.
- Swart, E. & Hoffman, M.T. 2006. The population status of Aloe pillansii L. Guthrie in southern Namibia. Unpublished report submitted to the South African National Biodiversity Institute, Pretoria. February 2006. 58 pp.
- Todd, S.W. 2006. Characterisation of riparian ecosystems. Unpublished report WADE project. Floodwater Recharge of Alluvial Aquifers in Dryland Environments. Sixth Framework Programme Priority 126.96.36.199. Global Change and Ecosystems. GOCE-CT-2003-506680-WADE.
- Duncan, J.D., Hoffman, M.T. & Rohde, R.F. 2005. Is the flagship of the Richtersveld sinking? New information on the decline of Aloe pillansii. Veld & Flora December 2005.
- Hoffman, M.T., O'Farrell, P. & Rohde, R. 2006. Photographing our changing world. Veld & Flora 92(1): 14-15. March 2006.
- Bonora, D.V. 2006. Historical changes in the environment and land use practices of the Little Karoo since 1900. Unpublished BSc (Honours) thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 50 pp. [Supervisors: Timm Hoffman and Mike Meadows].
- Jack, S. 2006. Changing land use/land cover around an urban estuary: implications for ecosystem functioning. Unpublished BSc (Honours) thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 20 pp. [Supervisor: Timm Hoffman].
- Kruger, L. 2006. Livestock farming and medicinal plant knowledge in Paulshoek, South Africa. Unpublished BA (Honours) thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 73 pp. [Supervisors: Sally Frankental and Timm Hoffman].
- Louw, R. 2006. Sustainable harvesting of wild rooibos (Aspalathus linearis) in the Suid Bokkeveld, Northern Cape. Unpublised MSc thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 130 pp. [Supervisors Timm Hoffman and Noel Oettle].
- Mader A. 2005. Elephant impact on trees in the Little Karoo, South Africa. Unpublished MSc thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 21 pp. [Supervisor: Timm Hoffman].
- Manuel, T.L. 2006. Responses of different community user groups to biodiversity conservation of protected areas in lowland fynbos - the case of the Wolfgat Nature Reserve. Unpublished PhD thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 243 pp. [Supervisor: Timm Hoffman].
- O'Farrell P. 2005. Ecosystem goods and services in a semi-arid landscape: An examination of the relationship between ecological processes, land use strategies and biodiversity conservation. Unpublished PhD thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 192 pp. [Supervisors: John Donaldson and Timm Hoffman].
- Potts A.J. 2006. The classification of Aspalathus linearis using molecular and morphological methods. Unpublished BSc (Honours) thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 20 pp. [Supervisors: Tony Verboom and Timm Hoffman].
- Price L. 2005. The electrifying impact on the fuelwood resources of a Namaqualand rural community. Unpublished BSc (Honours) thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 40 pp. [Supervisor: Timm Hoffman].
- Rahlao S. 2005. Long-term vegetation change in the Succulent Karoo, South Africa following 67 years of rest from grazing. Unpublished MSc thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 26 pp. [Supervisor: Timm Hoffman].
- Szöke, T. 2006. A phytosociological survey of the Greater Zandvlei Area. Unpublished BSc (Honours) thesis. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. 20 pp. [Supervisor: Timm Hoffman].